Working on a resolution or two for a happier, healthier new year? Consider including some for your pet!
Setting and conquering goals together is a great way to bond with your pet and pick up some mutually beneficial habits. Need some inspiration to get started? Here are 5 New Year’s resolutions for you and your pet.
- Get more active – Take advantage of the winter months while it last, there are many ways to enjoy UAE’s beautiful weather such as hiking trips, desert camping, beach or just a long walk with your furry ones.
- Let them sniff – It’s a well-known fact that dogs have an incredible sense of smell. In fact, their olfactory senses are 10,000 to 100,000 times more powerful than a human’s depending on breed! So it’s no wonder that dogs are truly guided by their sense of smell. Allowing your dog to sniff while on walks helps them explore the world outside the house. Since dogs experience the world through their nose, sniffing is also a mental workout and it also helps them to relax
- Drink more water – Staying hydrated is essential for your pet’s health and your own, helping to regulate body temperature, flush waste and bacteria, and promote skin health. Remember to refresh your pet’s water bowl daily—and when you see him taking a sip, don’t forget to take one yourself.
- Stress less – Envious of your pet’s carefree lifestyle? You might be surprised to learn that dogs and cats experience stress and anxiety, too. Changes in your pet’s environment, loud noises, and even boredom can all affect your pet’s wellbeing. Once you’ve ruled out any underlying health issues with your veterinarian, there are several ways to help alleviate your pet’s anxiety at home. Engaging your dog in a game of fetch or enriching your indoor cat’s environment with toys and perches is a great way to provide physical and mental stimulation and fight boredom. Plus, studies have shown that interacting with a pet helps relieve your own stress as well.
- Learn a new trick – Who said you can’t teach an old dog (or cat!) new tricks? From trick training to agility, helping your pet develop new skills provides much-needed mental and physical stimulation, improves your pet’s well being and positive behavior, and strengthens your bond.
Let us know what’s on your list for 2022!